25 July 2009

Closer to Kings of Leon

I was asked to attend a Kings of Leon show a few months back. I had heard of them (their sound fit my musical tastes more or less), seen a few live shots (they were wearing skinny jeans), heard some concert review (they are emotionless) and thought they were OK. In leading up to the show, I bought their new album "Only by the Night." I listened to the songs I knew, then took it to track 1 for a complete listen-my normal routine with new albums-and I was hooked. The concert ended up being top notch, leaving me thoroughly impressed with this outfit from the South.

In addition to me listening to this imaginative, envelope-pushing album (probably over 50 times through), I have also read a lot of articles and scoured their website looking at their operation--their band members, styles, recording techniques, etc. I have to say, these guys have a hold onto who they are and where they want to go...a very important trait to a band these days.

Long story short, I recently read an article in Guitar Magazine, and a few quotes really stuck out from the band's front-man, Caleb Followill:

"Who in their right mind forms a band with the goal of being totally average?"

"People want you to stay as you are. They want your fourth record to be just like your first. They get nervous when you change your haircut or tamper with your sound. But we have had to evolve. We don't wanna be this little cult band. Our hunger is bigger than that. Our destiny is larger than that. We want the world. I don't think that's a bad dream to chase."

Kings of Leon: Closer

No comments: